Baking Bread With Your Child
Here is a simple recipe for baking bread with your child. It is fun, requires no yeast, bakes on a cookie sheet, and takes approximately 12-18 minutes to bake.
4 cups whole wheat flour, plus a little extra
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup oil (olive or coconut), plus a little extra
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup milk (non-fat or whole, organic)
1 cup water
Follow these directions with your child:
- grade Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. If you do not want to sift, simply use a fork or hands to mix these ingredients together
- grade Make honeyed water by mixing together the oil, honey, milk and water
- grade Stir most of the honeyed water into the bowl with the dry ingredients
- grade Mix the dough with your hands to make a smooth, soft dough, not too sticky to handle. Add more honeyed water if the dough is too dry. Knead gently.
- grade Put the dough on a lightly-floured, flat surface. Use your hands or a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a smooth circle. (Almost any thickness will work, from 1/4" to 1-1/2")
- grade You can use a knife to cut a simple pattern onto the surface of the bread.
- grade Put onto a slightly oiled cookie sheet. Cook in a 350-degree oven for about 12 minutes (sometimes it takes a little longer if the bread is thicker). Let it cool and enjoy!